09 April 2007

Thesis 58

I like that Greenfield brings this point into conversation. There are aspects of new technology I see a demand for. Video game and entertainment advancement, which Greenfield acknowledges, but there isn't a sense of desire for this state of "everyware." I find that most people think it's just amazing what is possible. I find it exciting to think about, what technology is capable of accomplishing. Your living room greeting you, dimming the lights, starting your favorite tv show, adjusting the temperature, and preparing every other aspect you have planned for the night, all by face recognition upon entering the room. That is all very neat. But I'm not so anxious that I can't wait for it to come out. I don't sit here and wish and day dream that one day I won't even have to use a remote to control my tv, or a thermostat for my air. When I think about the future I never think about the aspect of purchasing all of these things. Like in movies, my vision of the future is just with everyone already having these technologies. Like in "Minority Report".

I wonder at times if the whole idea of "Everyware" is just a scheme to sale more product to the public. A "hyping" technique for the future. People exclaiming this is possible, and this will do this, and this car will fly, and blah blah blah. The excitement and hype has built to the point that I think people find it an inevitable change. Not so much that we can't wait to have these things available or that we can't wait to go out and buy them, but that we can't wait to see if what we think the future will be like is what it turns out to be. At least that is how it is for me. I could care less about the automaticity of my room, I'm just amazed at what we can do, but I don't want to buy something like that...unless I'm just so rich I have more money than I know what do with.

No comments: