20 April 2007

I read Rebuilt before the semester started, but I am reading it again to keep the events fresh in mind, and I have to say, I'm enjoying it as much this time as I did the first time I read it. It is so interesting to learn Mike's thoughts and feelings as he goes through this process, and about the process itself. I really liked reading about how he hears the sound in his head. It sounds so strange to me. I also liked how all the gadgetry worked, such as plugging the cd player into his processor so that it goes directly into his head. He says "I'm hearing music that never actually exists as sound". I think that's absolutely awesome!! What if we could develop something like that for hearing people, so that no one could bother others with their loud music again? No one would ever know what you were listening to. I wonder whether or not he could still hear things around him. It would be really neat if he could have music playing in his head and still hear the people around him.
Another example of the gadgets was the cell phone he plugged directly into his processor. It would be like hearing people talking in your head. I bet that would feel really strange the first time. I also had no idea that there were cell phones designed to work with those implants. I think its really cool and obviously very useful for the people that have the implant.

No comments: