08 April 2007

Is it that time already?

Technology has gotten to a point where it is being developed faster than we can utilize it and also costing more to do so. I remember that there was a time where you could purchase a computer and be pretty much set at least for a couple years before you absolutely had to upgrade. And when you upgraded, most of the parts were still useable. Now, I can barely keep up with what is out there since the processors are becoming more complicated. They are requiring specific types of RAM that match the processor to get the best performance. With the latest processor that I purchased (Intel Core Duo), I had to purchase a new type of video card since they had changed to the PCI-Express card slot. But by the time, my computer was up and running, I was already behind.

Either way, did I REALLY have to spend all that money to build a brand new computer? Not really. But what usually sparks the upgrade (other than just wanting something new because it’s new) are the components, like software (games, applications, video cards, etc). In my case, it was the graphic programs. I wanted to be more efficient in my work so I could get other things done while my system was processing my image. I know that I would have dealt with the speed that it was processing, but since the processors were coming out so fast, I was feeling left in the dust. And I think that everyone would be happier with their purchases if technology would ease in the new stuff instead of constantly shoving it down our throats. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, technology is happening at a more rapid pace than what we are used to.

1 comment:

Jeremy M. said...

I can relate to sometimes feeling lefet in the dut as technology aadvances at a quicker and quicker pace. Luckily for me I really have no desire to chase the cutting edge of the technology frontier. I only want ot buy a computer every two to three years and I don't want to pay more than $800.00 for it. All I look for in a computer is if my buddy Shane, "the nerd" says it'll suit my needs. Those needs being email, googling stuff and checking on school work etc. The rise of ubiquity in computing devices seems to me to be a pretty positive thing, for thte most part. Technology in general provides goods and bads, se la vi. In my case the goods tend to outweigh the bads but I find my self to technology averse. I shy away from it because I don't care to learn new stuff every other day. I seem to do allright, but id its that time already I'm not sure I'll be allright for very much longer.