23 April 2007

Digital Ears

Whenever I get a new cell phone, Ipod, or any piece of technology, it takes a bit to learn to navigate the menu systems and fine tune all the settings. Now imagine if this technology was instead one’s self AND it was sending messages to ones brain to stimulate sound waves. This would be the motherload of technology curves.

Micheal must have been so confused learning to cope with his new found hearing. From calibrating the maximum settings to manually adjusting volume on his wrist, I am sure it was a strange experience. If you forget to change your ring tone volume on your cell its really no big deal, you can call people back, but if you forget to turn on your hearing… well you are def.

“The toilet flushing: an explosion” (54)

Not only do you have to go through the hard ache of adjusting volumes, it seems like your brain has to become familiar with this electronic hearing. I guess in a lot of ways it makes sense, the technology is not 100% the same as hearing, I am sure that is an incredible feat. So Micheal also has to fine tune his own mind to the new workings of his digital ears.

5 comments:

thomasC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
thomasC said...

For the longest time I thought if you got a hearing aid it makes your hearing just as it was. Michael gave me a huge insight into this and showed me it is far from your normal hearing. Just like your comment “technology is not 100% the same as hearing”. I wonder what it must have felt like to not to be able to differentiate between genders or hearing a mechanized version of peoples voices. Not to mention the static or odd noises that is picked up. To be deaf does parallel to a death like feeling. I also wonder if it is harder to be born deaf and go through life or become deaf while you still have your life to live. If I had to guess it would be losing your hearing because its like being accustomed to a certain lifestyle then some one just flipping a switch and your in a whole new world.

Ronnie R said...

You’re right, I’m sure that it is a lot to deal with because this isn’t just a new gadget that will take a few days getting used to, but it is an electronic device that is now an extension of your body. However, as I can only imagine how tough it can be to make that kind of adjustment I wouldn’t know the exact amount of frustration it must be but I am sure that it’s worth it to be able to hear again. People don’t really think about the significance of being able to hear because it is just natural for us, like being able to see or touch, but if it was ever taken away from us we would probably go through extreme lengths to have it back. If it takes having to get used to an electronic extension of my body to be able to hear music, or the voice of a person that I love dearly, then I would gladly take the frustration of having to get used to this technological device that can give me my hearing back.

Ross H said...

I agree the challenges faced by Michael were very serious. It took me long enough to figure out how to work my digital camera, I couldn't imagine what it would be like for him. Worst of all, he was given a choice between the two types of hearing, and left to decide for himself. This compounds the difficulty of the choice, because you have two alternatives that seem to be equally appealing. It seems like SAS worked much better for him in the end, but then there is still all of the fine tuning to be done. Basically what I am saying is that technology that adapts to your preferences may be overly complicated, but in the end it will benefit the user.

Forrest L said...

I think it would be not only an experience to use the implant but it would also be an amazing experience. I mean just thinking about all the people that have to be deaf all their lives and not have the money to know abouts to use this technologically great invention. I mean Some great music composers of the olden days went deaf. I wonder what would have happened if maybe they were given this new implant?