06 April 2007

2 eggs and an airconditioner

I never considered the fact that there really isn't a need for everyware. It makes sense, though. You never hear people say, "gosh I wish this room would have cooked me breakfast and cooled down two degrees when I walked in". I think in this case, the need will come with having the devices. Once society moves to a new level of comfort and convenience, we never look back. It is unthinkable to move toward the LESS convenient (gasp). The real need according to Greenfield involves simple day to day conveniences like finding parking or consolidating the remotes. Personally, I think these small things will eventually lead right into the everyware vision, because whether we need it as a whole, we do need (or think we need) the individual parts. I read just this morning in the Daily Texan that Texas wants to begin using the fingerprint as a voluntary identification system. Instead of ID you would just have your fingerprint scanned to buy tobacco, alcohol, lottery tickets, and R-rated movie tickets. I believe that this is one of those small components that will eventually lead to the everyware system. We just want more and more convenience, and with more small systems, it will be only logical to combine them to save space and time, thus creating an everyware type environment. My only complaint at the moment is that I still believe that we don't really need that much convenience. I mean, how hard is it to look for a parking place and dig for change in your pocket? But I'm only trying to postpone the inevitable. We as a society will always be looking for the easy way out. That's how it's always been, and I figure that's how it always will be.

1 comment:

annime said...

I agree with you about how everyone is always trying to find the easy way out. And when will people realize that they need to do things for themselves instead of depending on an invention to do the work for them? You even see this trend in non-technological situations as well. Some people have found that suing someone over their stupidity will get them ahead in life. In some cases, the juries make this come true (which is soooo ridiculous that it is upsetting), but how can we stop this? You can also even look at how involved parents are in their children's lives allowing the tv and gaming console to babysit their children and wonder why they aren't doing well in school. Then they blame the teacher for their lack of responisbility in making sure that their children are learning. I am soo afraid what the future holds in regard to society. I just don't think they know how to use it.