23 April 2007

Digitalized and Dehumanized.

I find the whole idea of having a processor inside of me and being able to plug in media devices such as cell phones and cd players as pretty amazing, and a part of the inevitable future. What are they trying to do with every new computer system? Make it smarter, make it faster, have more memory...basically make it human without human errors.

It kinda made me think of "The Terminator 2: Judgment Day". In this one ol' Arny comes back as the good guy...and is basically the perfect human. There is a point in the movie where...Sarah Connor...don't know her real name, points it out. The terminator would never get mad and hit him, never get drunk and hit her, never sleep all day and want to watch football all night...a machine will do what it is told and programmed to do without human error.

So I am not surprised that the angle of incorporating machine like benefits into a human is being looked at. It's just a matter of how far. Will it go so far that instead of our cars communicating with each other, we are telling the car behind us we are gonna change lanes via a blue-tooth chip in our head and the other drivers head? Will we one day not even have to go anywhere to have our life? Like the man who lived through the lamdamoo...will the world one day become a digital life? Instead of going to work, I'll just communicate through my computer and do the work there. It all sounds pretty far fetched to me, but in 1000 years, where will life be? If there are people living there life through digital worlds now...what about then.

2 comments:

Jeremy M. said...

Terminator two was a pretty sick flick back in the day...and it was just a matter of time before it was mentioned in our class blog. Cheers for being the one to broach the subject. What I think is worth discussing is that T2 is only one of many movies which deals with some aspect of Ubicomp. The gambit is extensive, including the RoboCop franchise, the Matrix franchise, the Short Circuit franchise etc. (I'm sure there are a ton of movies I've missed). My point is that we've already begun to look towards a future where technology plays an increasingly important role in our lives. The volume of movies similiar to those mentioned above attests to this fact. Now, I agree there is no clear trend which we can say as society we'll tend to but its helpful to speculate if only to figure out what we should all avoid. I for one don't fear the machines vaporizing us with nukes but I am skeptical of allowing any sort of device in me that I didn't to survive.

jakesiller said...

I'd like to have a device in my head. Only on that lets me download notes and exam questions before a test. I think we only ask what can technology do for us to make our lives better but not about what harm it could do. All these ideas are theoretical, but just like the Terminator would "do what it is told and programmed to do without human error."...it did spend the first movie trying to kill her. I just remember that we are the generation that remembers life before computers and life in today's ubiquitous computing world and laugh. We'll be the old people teaching everyone how to cope with a depression like era in technology when/if it all fails one day.