09 April 2007

finally someone says it: Theses 58-60

Thesis 58: "Of course, what real people need or want in any given situation is far from obvious" (Gene Becker, Thesis 58). This is my major hang-up with all of this talk of evreyware and ubicomp, sure its nice to discuss all the possibilities of ubicomp but for the most part (at least currently) it seems academic. Me personally, I'm pretty content with the way things are right now. Most would call me provincial but I really have little, if any desire to live in a "Minority Report" or "I Robot" world. I don't mind manually adjusting the thermostat in my apartment or flicking a switch to turn on the lights. On the other hand, I hate going to the bank and don't know what I'd do without my debit card or direct deposit. Sure I'd get by but I'd rather keep my debit card. So for me personally, it boils down to comfort and familiarity. You throw things I'm not familiar or comfortable with at me and I tend to refuse them. The email list and LR are two good examples. Everyware might be progressively becoming more and more a reality but I think it still depends upon people accepting it to fully realize.

Thesis 60: Storing the whole life experience of an individual in a device the size of a mobile phone, or a grain of sand...well that's pretty cool. Who would want to do such a thing? Well, that I'm not so sure about. I for one really have no desire for my own personal little black box (maybe a temporary one for vacations, bachelor parties, lectures etc.), my own personal memory has served me well so far. I can see something like personal black boxes being used in various industries to track individual productivity or record expeditions etc. But I get the point of the example: storage capacity will some day allow it. Is there a limit to storage capacity? Could we map our known galaxy and store it on an iPod or cd? This is the sort of thing that think could be useful applications of the increase in storage capacity, recording natural phenomena and modeling etc.

2 comments:

kellyt said...

Really? I don't know, it might be exciting to live for a day in a minority report type of world. I do agree, there is no problem with the little things (ie the thermostat) like they are; I personally think the world is becoming entirely too convenient. But still, in the grander scheme of things, wouldn't it be neat to see what has been accomplished, and to try the new technologies out in person? Sure, everyone is uncomfortable with new things at first, but hey, I've learned that the world will go on, with or without me, so I might as well make the most of what I have. About thesis 60, I also think it would be really neat to have the entire life experience of an individual in a device the size of a grain of sand, but what would be the point? To know what an experience is like before you go and actually experience it? Kind of takes the fun out of it doesn't it? It removes the element of surprise. Sometimes surprises are fun; they keep life interesting. On a final note, great thought about the galaxy on an ipod!! Crazy, but thought provoking. I like it.

jakesiller said...

I as well am happy with things the way they are...but not really. I'm torn between a standstill and the ubicomp becoming a worse monster for us. Of course I'd like technology to make life extremely easier but I don't want detailed reports heading for D.C. every time I go to the bathroom. So it makes sense to be happy with the monster as it is right now and not wish it to further become a hassle. As far as storing an individual on a grain of sand, I'd like to live on as a tangible device left behind for the world that was not cool enough for me anyway...