16 April 2007

Cyberspace Rape

Thinking about it, I find Cyberspace Rape as curiously intriguing as Dibbell did. Just to figure out its psychological effects on a person so immersed into this social interaction that it would move them to tears and feelings of violation. I found this reading to be a little fantastical and one-sided at times, but interesting in its account of what most people do not even take a second glance at.
When I first started reading it I held a bit of disbelief and wonder at 1) that we were reading it and 2) that people were so affected by this persons behavior. I guess I would consider myself to be a techno libertarian, as Dibbell calls it, I believe that there are assholes everywhere and you just have to deal or do something about them. Most likely this person would never have done anything like this in person, so why was talk even considered about messing with his Real Life or RL as they like to call it.

1 comment:

Forrest L said...

As a former intense gamer, I can say, it is very easy to get so involved in a second online life that it means a whole lot to you. I remember when I was on the fields in Star Wars Galaxies and I sent my best pets out to fight a rancor (I was a creature handler) Well to make a long story short both of my rare prized razor cats died. Yes, I did cry. They were my babies. All in all games will take over your life if you let them. So everyone should just do it for fun. The real life is outside your front door!