29 April 2007

the on/off switch

"Thesis 76: Everyware must be conservative of time. Thesis 77: Everyware must be deniable".

I've flip-flopped back and forth all semester long, one day condemning everyware, the next praising it. Finally I realize my capricious fence jumping was symptomatic of my need to be able to turn everyware off. For me control must ultimately lie in my hands, and as innovative and slick evryware seems it can one day be I was still uncomfortable with the loss of human control. I never thought about being able to turn it off. I always saw the possibilities of everyware as a double edged and therefore a little scary--- HAL 9000 scary, 1984 scary. Now that I realize the painfully simple solution of the on/off switch, well hell I'm not so apprehensive. The day my front door threatens to sue me is the day I get evicted from my apartment so being able to turn aspects of everyware off is definitely reassuring. Now that I'm writing this I'm beginning to think that one of the most important things which will have to be available in everywarfe is the off button. As the systems we create continue to expand in influence and complexity we lose a bit of our individuality. By individuality I mean our ability to shape our surrounding through purposive action. Everyware streamlines our lives but we lose the choice of purposive action. The loss might be nominal, even trivial its still a loss of control. So three cheers for the off button, it rocks and thank goodness for it! Everyware, in all its efficient glory must remain dependpent on us, not the other way around. Systems fail, stuff breaks and people make mistakes and in my experience, turning stuff off is a good way to fix it (sometimes hitting it with a shoe works...sometimes). So as we near the end of the semester I can say I've learned a lot about IT&S, I bore my buds at happy hour recounting the telegraph etc, but I'm rally glad to learn about he off button. I'm a simple guy, technologically provincial, I get by ok but also get lost a lot. So once again the whole off button thing, hell yeah it rocks.

1 comment:

Forrest L said...

I agree with you hear. I mean sometimes we will just need to get out into nature and flip the off switch. If I am going on a nature hike for 2 days and I have computing embedded into my every move, I will wish to just turn it off for a while. You know I may want to just sit back and watch the sunset without hearing my phone ring, getting a text message, recieving an email, or have the news come into my brain. Its nice to think that with all these new technologies, that an off switch sounds soo good.