24 April 2007

More surprises?!?

I can truthfully say, that I never even considered that this was possible. When volunteering at The Arch, I was trying to explain it to one of the men that are helped there, and couldn’t even form the correct words to explain what this man is going through. He wrote a whole book about it, and yet I can’t sum up what it was and how it works? That’s when I fully realized how deeply engrained my disbelief was, how fast I processed the information and how quickly it drained out the other ear while I was reading it. It’s as if we are brought up to expect that anything is possible, yet we are psychologically inclined to avoid what seems new, foreign and life changing.
When reading Rebuilt I automatically realized the potential that it had for “listening” to music. Imagine where we are all wirelessly connected to our music and phone players, through our head. I know in the book his had a wire, but I think he talked about an easier one to wear while he tumbled under the covers. I’m not sure if this had a wire or not, but with all the Bluetooth and wireless technology around, I’m sure its not too far in the future if it is not already here. But just imagine that. Wouldn’t it be awesome? I’ve mentioned in class before about the soundless sound system that uses high and low pitches to create music and sound that can be heard by one or many people. Yet that doesn’t come close to what this could do for the music industry. The way he talks about how he hears the music sounds like its not too distorted from normal…but then again, it may just be the quality that turns people away.
Another question that entered my mind while reading. Would it be possible to someone connect these as a communication device? Earlier on I talked about a phone, yet now I’m meaning more, is someone able to someone get into that system and make him hear what they want to? It’s a scary thought, and I hope that it wouldn’t be possible. I mean, if its just a hard drive in which you could encode programs, whose to say you can’t write a program for receiving someone else’s signal. Either way, I love the guy’s humor, reading in public is hard to do with this book only because my random snorts of laughter are pretty embarrassing in a quiet setting.

3 comments:

thomasC said...

In response to your question about turning it into a communication device ….that would be a bit scary. If some one were to get a hold of what was being sent to that individual and decided to play a “prank” it could really make some one go insane. I wonder why there would be a need for a wire now days. I am sure there are cochlear implants that don’t need any wires to function. I have a question about the comment about the soundless sound system and what the heck it does. Hopefully you can get back to me.

Taylor P said...

When you bring up the "someone getting in your head" thing. I think that is an inevitable outcome if we go that direction. There will always be hackers, or people out there trying to beat the system. For everything we create there has to be a security feature built into it. So maybe you'll have a password, like in bluetooth you'll have to link the two systems. But I think that is still really neat, and potentially abusable. How about during test taking? Cheating becomes inevitable. Whatever happens in our lifetime...I believe we have the resources to succeed.

Forrest L said...

I agree with Taylor. I think some kind of self authorized voice code would be sufficeint to activate the device to get it started. I also agree that we will succeed no matter what is brought to the table. I see this device as more universal maybe combining the music player with satallite radio with a host of other ideas that use audio only. It could be something really great!