03 March 2007

Then and Now

I think my favorite part of the reading was comparing television then to television now. I absolutely loved the quote about television content: "This means that vulgarity, profanity, the sacrilegious in every form, and immorality of every kind will have no place in television. All programs must be in good taste, unprejudiced, and impartial."
When I read this, I burst out laughing. I mean, I don't think any programs exist today that DON'T have any of those things. An example of this is the show "I Love Lucy" I thought it was mind-blowing that the show wasn't allowed to have Lucy and Ricky sleeping in the same bed, even though they are married. It really shows the change in morals, and what is considered acceptable in this day and age.
Back then, there was "simply no place for the florid gesture, the overprojection of emotion, the exaggeration of voice or grimace or movement..." I wonder how long it took them to change that idea. :) Now, there is high definition to capture every florid gesture in detail. In fact, that's what we love about television.
I thought it was interesting that there were only three major networks originally too. I wonder how many there are now. I would assume many more than that. And that makes me wonder what the future holds. If I am so amazed at how far television has progressed (or digressed, depending on how you look at it), I wonder how my great grandchildren will be entertained. Or with the way technology is progressing, maybe just my children. There might be something coming along better than tv very soon.

No comments: