26 March 2007

comics and powerpoint

I've collected comics since I was ten years old. My mom used them as bribes to get me reading. It worked, every weekend she'd have to drive me to the comic shop as long as my grades remained good. I've never given much thought to the substance of comics before I read the article in eResv. Sure I payed attention to the characters, the plot etc. but never to the framework of the comic. The reading brought this framework to my attention and elucidated the high level of reasoning involved in reading comics. The reader must orient him/herself within the flow of the frames, interpret and place accompanying text in order to progress though the story. Comics are cool and I'm going to have to drag out my collection and get reacquainted with some old friends.
PowerPoint on the other hand, well it just plain sucks. I've always thought this, Tufte just validated the opinion I formed through sitting through PP lecture after PP lecture. Sure PP is great when it comes to cramming for an exam, PP make great flashcards and really help if the exam is multiple choice. I agree with Tufte, PP lacks motive flow, its static and limiting, boring and incomplete. The whole NASA PP failure really drives this home. I still think PP make good flashcards, but that's probably it.Therefore, comics rock and PP is lame. Comics involve the reader in the progression of the action, the reader navigates and sets the pace. PP presentations force feed generalized points.

No comments: