25 March 2007

Powerpoint's Dreadful Record

PowerPoint is the cause of how many deaths, lost jobs, and business downfalls?!? <-- *insert scoff there* I understand that PowerPoint is not the best presentation tool for anything that you aren’t going to keep funny, short, and sweet. Yet, I think that Professor Tufte was a bit over the top and opinionated I did like Abraham Lincoln’s Gettysburg PowerPoint which I thought was hilarious. He also had a good point for people who rely on PowerPoint for important matters such as dealing with life and death and/or teaching situations. The last time I used PowerPoint it was for a high school environmental science presentation, because that is where they encourage you to use it, high school. I know anyone who has dealt with inept PowerPoint users knows what I’m talking about or for anyone who has ever taken a class where the professor decides to teach each an hour and a half class with 250 slides stock full of information that 1 you can’t differentiate what is really important and what is just good to know and 2 numbs your brain until all the coffee in the world couldn’t help you using the wall as a giant hard pillow. Yet, I have to admit that I am pro PowerPoint. No matter how many people misuse the little bullets for main points instead of small details (scientists) or read off every darn word as it shows up (teachers and students), it is my savior since I am one of those 10% who cannot speak in public without turning beat red with voice and hands shaking uncontrollably. To my backup when my mind has decided to turn into a big pile of frightened jello, PowerPoint, I don’t care how hopeless and pfluff filled you are and though I will probably never use you again, I salute you.

1 comment:

thomasC said...

Yea I am also pro-PowerPoint because like you I also share your problem with talking in front of an audience. Without PowerPoint what would be there to guide you on when u freeze or make sure you didn’t skip any information? Nothing that’s what. But I do understand all the failures in PowerPoint and see how primitive and just boring a presentation could be. But then we saw Hardt’s and Barndollar’s PowerPoint presentation and see how it could effectively be used. Assuming I have low resolution pictures and im trying to present simple information, I think I will continue to use PowerPoint. But if I need to get a bit more graphic I might turn to the internet and websites in order to present my material which probably is just as bad.