05 March 2007

Processors

When the class first started and we were reading about how people were all scared about new technologies I laughed. I mean I though to myself, How could someone be scared of something without a mind of its own. Now I am reading about all these processors being intertwined with everything I use in almost every day of my life. This is scary to think because in a sense these processors kinda have a mind of their own. It scares me to think of what they will soon be like and how easy it will be to incorporate into robotics. These processors are becoming much smaller and much faster and much more "smart". It is because of this that I am scared. People will be able to use these for anything and that scares me. In the next 100-1000 years could we be looking at an age of robotics and processors everywhere, well I hope that people soon become less selfish and more looking into the good of humanity, or we should all be very very afraid.

1 comment:

Taylor P said...

This gets me thinking about situations like "I, Robot". When everyone is seduced by the luxuries of AI, and the advancement causes a self aware/rule bending organism. I know we are not anywhere near this sort of situation. But anytime I think about artificial intelligence I can't help but think of Hollywood movies. They paint such a horror story of the possibilities. I mean, how about The Terminator? However, I also believe that these scenarios have already been thought of, and can be prepared for.

Today we are more in the age of privacy invasion with too much information being shared. The possibilities of recognizing, locating, or investigating anyone at anytime is scary. Something like that reminds me of Minority Report. A system of extreme control. In a comment a few posts up I talk about people settling. Which is what I think happens. We talk about our fears and concerns with new technology, but not critically enough to thwart the creations, and with simple modifications nearly everyone will use the new technology. Enable an on/off feature? Sure I'll use it now.