26 February 2007

Unplugged

Who would have that there would be a time where we needed to be forced to pull ourselves away from technology? There are special services that are beginning to pop up around in hotels that help with this “problem.” One example is called the “Blackberry Detox.” This service allows you to check-in your blackberry (or any other electronic devices) so that you can be free from the stress of having to worry anymore and actually enjoy your vacation.

Being in an Information Technology department, you do feel as though you are leashed, but it tends to became second nature to be constantly alert all the time. You get so used to it, you don’t even notice the inconvenience of it anymore until it is gone and you do get to relax.

Besides blackberries, PDAs and cell phones (which I have mentioned in a previous blog), the laptop usage has highly increased allowing for work to be portable where-ever you are. I am an example of this case. My employer is in Houston and I work remotely from Austin. I log into work whenever there is WiFi available, and when I am at home, I am always available to work as long as my internet is up and running.

So when do we get a break? After reading ‘America Calling,” you start to think that we really can’t pull away from this technological world that we become accustomed to without being almost "forced" to do so.

No comments: