12 February 2007

Breaking the Time and Space Gap

When I first started to read “Time, Space, and the Telegraph” I thought it was going to be an extremely summerized version of The Victorian Internet, but I quickly discovered that it wasn’t. I knew how the law of supply and demnad worked, but I had always imagined it applying to a huge geographical area. But before the telegraph it wasn’t too easy to communicate amongst cities or towns about the price of each other’s good and I think that it was clever the way traders used the method called arbitrage, which was to buy goods that were being sold cheap from one town and sell them in another town that had a high demand for them. It is a bit of a scam, but if you really think about it, that is similar to the way investors make their profits. But with the invention of the telegraph, this method was siezed. This whole passage was about breaking the time and space between communication with the use of the telegraph and then later with the telephone. I’m pretty sure that with all of the technology and instant communcation, whether it be from computer, cell phone, pda or any other device that is networked in some way with the rest of the world, there is practically no time and space in our transference of information.

No comments: