18 February 2007

NPR

If I hadn't been driving, the voice telling that story would have put me to sleep. He was so dramatic, like a story about a guy throwing his daughter's fish into a pond was such exciting news. But dramatic or not, that was a really monotone voice. I really enjoyed the jokes though. There were some really funny parts thrown in, that I would have missed had I not been listening closely. He said the jokes with the same tone of voice as everything else. It actually made the jokes funnier, I think. I wonder whether the jokes would have been the same in the early days, whether they would have been so tongue in cheek. I can definitely see why this form of radio would have been popular back then. Stories told in installments would be their equivalent of television, except with the pictures in their heads. I personally didn't think the story I listened to was very exciting, certainly not exciting enough to listen to in pieces for weeks, but maybe they were back then, or maybe this would have been exciting to them. I do wonder if there are multiple people that read for the station, and if so, whether they all speak in that monotone voice. I was really impressed that something I thought was going to be boring based on the reader's voice was actually kind of interesting and definitely funny.

No comments: