05 February 2007

Expansion

The part out of The Victorian Internet that interested me the most was the part that described the expansion of the telegraph wires and the telegraph technology. In 1844 there was a few dozen miles of wire with a short message taking up to 10 weeks. Within 30 years there were over 650,000 miles of wire, 30,000 miles of submarine cable, and 20,000 towns and villages connected. A short message went from 10 weeks to taking as little as 4 minutes. This expansion for this day in time is amazing to me. The telegraph blew up and revolutionized the world. I found it incredibly amazing that they connected the world that fast. Today I relate it to the internet and I am hoping that within about 5 years everywhere will have a wireless T1 connection. That is what I would relate this to. If that was so I would be amazed and super happy. I know it is possible and its just a matter of time before it happens. Todays world is going wireless in my opinion. I feel that this will be our next step to everyware. What are your thoughts of what is coming with the internet of today? How do you think it will be advanced and changed within the next 5 years or so? Do you think it will ever be possible to have a wireless T1 connecting everyone in the world?

1 comment:

annime said...

I think because of how fast we have grown in the technology field, I feel that we may start slowing down soon. Computer processors are coming out faster than ever before and we, as consumers, cannot even keep up with it. Eventually, all the time and money spent in developing the product may go to waste because we do not feel the need to upgrade so quickly.

As for the world becoming wirelessly connected via T1, I would say that it could be possible. Japan as a country is already running at a faster speed than we are here in the United States in their homes. Their cell phone technology is far more advanced than ours. They are already at the point where they can DVR shows from their cell phones or record a sample of a song to find out what the name is as it sends the sample sound bite to a database to retrieve this information.

The internet has become a neccessity in our lives. Too much information is out there now that we cannot dismiss it as a primary resource for information.