26 February 2007

Help Where Help Is Needed

Everytime I would read Everyware with all its talk of RFID tags I would only begin to imagine the numerous security issues and the invasion of privacy we would face. But I guess I forgot that they aren’t ONLY capable of telling the government exactly where you are on earth every second of the day, or to tell everyone your entire life just from a urinal (okay I’m exagerating), but that they can help with such things as the elderly and even the economy. If we really do go into a future that is similar the future from Minority Report, then there will be almost uncountable sensors in the world. Sensors would be literally EVERYWHERE which would raise a huge market for sensor production.

But aside from the economy, using these devices to help out the elderly is amazing. When I read that the Japanese came out with that automatically turns crossing signals green for elderly citizens, holding oncoming traffic until they have crossed safely, I just thought that was a great idea. Or to just help them out with everyday tasks like reminding them to take their medication or that their teapot is boiling. It can make them feel a lot safer at home and for those who don’t have others at home with them to help out, it can keep them in the comfort of their own home and how of a retirement home. My family is constantly worring about my grandfather and have even discussed putting him into a retirement home but he loves his house too much to leave which leaves us to weigh out sides; safty vs happiness. But I know we would feel a whole lot better if we had a whole bunch of sensors to help him through his daily routine or that could contact us if something has happened to him.

2 comments:

Jeremy M. said...

RFID's and the medical profession, definately a marriage of vast possibilities. I commentted on essentially the same thing in Gabi D's post. I really like the idea of RFIDs being used to better care for Alzeimer's patients, hell any patient. RFIDs make it easier to track stuff, so it makes sense to us them extensively in industries where its really important to know where stuff is. That being said which industries could really improve the way they do bussiness by using RFIDS? Well, probably every imaginable industry.

I think the next step would be to make actual objects an RFID.

jakesiller said...

I continue to believe that the scariest thing isn't RFID tags because those are trying to be introduced into the market as helpful tools that "by the way" let's them know where you are. I think the scarier issues than future tracking devices versus the ones we have today. If the technology exists, are we blind to measures and steps those who want the information take in order to obtain it? Or is there just paranoia in the fear of something new?