04 May 2007

Implants as a Threat for Business

After we started reading the Chorost book, I didn't get a chance to share with everyone that I worked for a company that makes medical devices to help treat epilepsy and depression. Although I worked in the Information Technology department, I learned about the device mostly from the websites that I maintained for the company. Certain company meetings gave us an opportunity to meet and hear from the patients themselves who have been implanted by our device. And it is amazing to see how happy they are. They talk about how they couldn't live their lives because the medication didn't work anymore or never did at all. Sometimes it really makes you wonder if the doctors out there really care for the patients or if it's more for that little bonus they get for prescribing the medicine. The device that we provide is meant for patients who have tried three or more medications and have not been successful. I don't really think that the pharmaceuticals companies should feel threatened by this method of treatment, but they do. And it's really sad that the patients have to suffer because of it.

No comments: